It’s not everyday that an independent nail bar / beauty salon opens up, especially when it opens in a location that is not a mall or shopping centre. But this is the case with the newly opened luxury beauty salon called Studio MoMa. It is situated in the BDO Building in Parktown, Johannesburg. I was treated to a manicure and a chance to see what else the nail bar, soon to be full salon, had up its sleeve.
I have to be honest regarding the parking. I went there on a Friday afternoon and parking was a bit of a mission, until I eventually got parking in the parkade of the BDO building, apparently there are a few parking spaces reserved for Studio MoMa clients. I am sure if one went there on any other day, the parking won’t be an issue, as there seems to be plenty of off street parking in front of the salon.
I was warmly welcomed by the co-owners Buyi Mafoko and Mpho Sedibe. I started my manicure and selected the Ice White nail colour, one of my favourites. The salon is cosy, with 4 manicure stations and 2 pedicure stations. There are plans to expand into a full beauty salon and unisex hair salon in June, says co-owner Buyi Mafoko. The pedicure seats are comfy and the salon is artfully decorated, which complements the natural light streaming in, from the full length windows.
The following convenience factors are great benefits for Studio MoMa:
- It’s surrounded by office blocks, so corporate types will find it super convenient to walk over and get a quick pedicure or manicure
- Quick on and off access to major highways
- They offer mobile services that come to you during the weekday to free up more of your time
- Early morning (from 07:00) and late evening (after 18:00) appointments on Mondays and Fridays
- Enjoy refreshments during your treatments
- You can work during your treatment/s as they have WiFi at their plug and play work station
- The therapists speak a range of languages including French and Swahili
- 24-hour online booking system that allows clients to book and pay online for their treatments – this is the first I have heard of this online payment service, so kudos to Buyi Mafoko and Mpho Sedibe.
I consider a manicure and/or pedicure a real luxury, especially in the time of junk status, ever increasing food and petrol prices and general financial challenges. I don’t get beauty treatments done monthly, only when my budget allows, so when I do have the opportunity to be pampered, it needs to be excellent quality and reasonably priced. Both of these criteria are met by Studio MoMa.
Studio MoMa is 100% black-owned and black-women owned. Buyi Mafoko is a seasoned entrepreneur, strategist and digital marketer, with a medical background. She sees herself as a Brand Architect invested in re-shaping the beauty landscape. Mpho Sedibe is an Entrepreneur and BBBEE advisory expert, consultant and a qualified Chartered Accountant.
Studio MoMa is located at 22 Wellington Road, Parktown, Johannesburg.
Tel: 079 317 7172
Facebook: Studio MoMa
Disclosure level 1
wow, great write up, very well research and engaging! Thanks for this post!