I recently had my first Uber experience… and it was effortless. I downloaded the Uber app a while back, but only used the service on Valentine’s Day, when I attended a Glamour magazine event (more about this in a later post).
It really is as easy as pie, just select which Uber car service you’d like – either Uber Van (for larger groups of people), Uber Black (if you want a stylish ride in say, a Mercedes Benz) and Uber X (a ride in say, a Toyota Corolla). Select your pick up location, get a fare estimate (if you’d like) and then click on “Request UberX”. You will be notified on the app when your car will collect you via the nifty estimated time of arrival info, which is usually within 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how many cars are in your vicinity. When you sign up for the app, you also load your debit or credit card details, so at the end of your journey, your card automatically gets debited, so no cash changes hands, making it safer than a usual metered taxi. Our driver was friendly and polite and I rated him 5 stars at the end of the journey.
Now, Uber and VW have joined forces to celebrate the launch of the new Volkswagen up! car. South Africans will be able to get free Uber rides in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Cape Town and Durban from 2 – 8 March 2015. Some may even be chauffeured by celebrities like Sureshnie Rider or Jonathan Boynton-Lee who will be making surprise appearances as Uber up! drivers during the campaign period.
This is how it works:
- Sign up for Uber and download the free application here.
- Enter the promo code: UBERUP to unlock the unique UberUp view.
- Toggle over to the VW icon, and request a ride as per normal.
- A Volkswagen up! will arrive at the user’s destination within minutes.
Terms and conditions:
- Available only in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Cape Town and Durban.
- The service is available for request between 13h00 – 21h00 on weekdays and from 15h00 – 23h00 on weekends from Monday 2 March to Sunday 8 March 2015.
- Trips can be maximum of 20 minutes in duration or 20km in distance.
- Users will be limited to two free Uber trips in the Volkswagen up! during the campaign period.
- Maximum three passengers in one vehicle.
By following Volkswagen South Africa and Uber on social media, clues can be found as to when the celebrities are likely to make surprise appearances as Uber drivers.